The Kentucky men’s basketball team have a matchup with the long time rivaled North Carolina Tar Heels. Both teams are coming in ranked in the top 10, and are 2 of only 4 teams in NCAA division 1 history with over 2,000 wins. Kentucky leads the group with 2205.. And UNC sitting at 3rd with 2173. Kentucky is coming off back to back wins against Valparaiso and Hofstra. Those two victories came after a heartbreaking defeat to UCLA at home. The Tar Heels have won their last 3, coming after a 9 point loss to Indiana.
5 Things to know:
- UNC has a winning record vs. Kentucky historically, but have lost 4 of 6 meetings during the Cal era.
- UNC G Joel Berry suffered a sprained ankle in a game a few weeks back.. But many reports indicate he will be good to go tomorrow.
- Malik Monk scored 24 against UCLA and leads the Cats in scoring (19.4 PPG) while De’Aaron Fox leads the team averaging 6.9 Assists a game.
- Justin Jackson will enter the game as UNC’s leading scorer (15.5 PPG) and an elite outside threat.
- In Kentucky’s biggest game yet, G Isaiah Briscoe laid an egg. Shooting 4-14 from the field and 0-5 from 3PT.. In order for the Cats to win these big games coming up (Louisville/Kansas) he will have to show up in a bigger way.
What this game means
Of course it’s only Decemebr and the season is still plenty early, this is a big game for Kentucky to prove themselves to be real contenders. After a disappointing UCLA loss, Kentucky now has 2 legitimate chances to prove its talent when they take on Louisville and Kansas. The odds will be stacked against UK, playing on the road. A loss to North Carolina will almost certainly kick Kentucky to either #10 or even lower and that would be a major hit to take before conference play starts.
Mychal Mulder… Few know the name. Those in Kentucky know how good this kid has looked in limited time. He’s averaging almost 8 points in 12 minutes per game. Calipari left some fans scratching their heads after the UCLA loss when Mulder saw all of 0 minutes in that game. I wonder if he’s taking that into consideration and maybe Mulder can see some valuable time tomorrow. Bold prediction… Mulder will see over 14 minutes in tomorrow’s game.
If you’re waiting for me to go against this team, keep waiting. This team challenges Cal’s first team with John Wall, Eric Bledsoe, and Demarcus Cousins when it comes to raw talent. I gotta stick with the Cats… 87-84.